Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fashion Studies

Often, when I have time that I'm not working on commissions, I go back to an earlier interest, fashion illustration. I came within a hair of going in to that profession back in the early 80's when I got out of art school. I'm still inspired by great fashion illustrators of the past and some recent books on the subject are giving them a nice stage on which to be shown. These studies are done fairly quickly...30-45 minutes usually. Mixed media...conte, pastel and oil on bristol board. These three are inspired by Avedon and Hiro photos.

4 comments:

Steve McAfee said...

Wow! Really cool Martin. It's a shame there seems to be almost no fashion illustration these days.

Martin Pate said...

Yea, I don't see much either...really miss it. Did you blog about the artist David Downton one time?...He wrote/compiled two great books on the subject..."Masters of Fashion Illustration" and "100 years of Fashion Illustration". You may have even blogged about the books? Both are great.

Steve McAfee said...

Yes-love David Downton-he's really the only current fashion illustrator person that I know of. I know the '100 Years" book but not the "Masters" one-I'll have to look it up.

Martin Pate said...

Steve- The "Masters" book has more of Downton's own work as well as some Peak and Coby Whitmore etc.